Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My accountant did not include a cancellation of Debit on my…

Customer Question
My accountant did not...

My accountant did not include a cancellation of Debit on my 2015 tax return. Do I need to fle a 1040x

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My son attends Buffalo State College. They are asking for an amended return for 2015

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/18/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 11 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If your accountant did not include Form 1099-C (cancellation of debt) on your 2015 tax return, you will need to amend your return (Form 1040X) to include the cancellation of debt and submit to the IRS.

What was the cancellation of debt for? Mortgage? Credit card?

Credit card

When you receive a cancellation of debt for a credit card, the IRS considers that amount to be INCOME to you unless you were insolvent at the time.

That is why the IRS has contacted you. Amend your return to include the 1099-C income and mail it to the IRS.

If you were insolvent, you will include Form 982 to EXCLUDE the income.

Is this $52 in addition to the $41

Don't worry about the $52. That is a system generated telephone offer. We can continue here.

There is no reason for the additional fee to you.

Insolvent meaning I received a refund? The IRS is aware of the income since it is on the Wage and Income statement I requested
Are you here?

Insolvent means you have more in liabilities than in assets.

Your Wage and Income Statement from the IRS shows the 1099-C because they receives copies.

The accountant who prepared your 2015 tax return should prepare the amendment to include the 1099-C FOR FREE if it was his mistake.

it was. He made many mistakes. I am no longer using him
Why a 1099c and not a 1040x?

The 1040X is the form used to amend your tax return.

Form 1099-C is the form the credit card company used to report the cancellation of debt amount. The 1099-C amount gets included on the 1040X.

I understand that. Why didn't the IRS ask for an amended return?
I do not have a copy of the 1099-c from the credit card company

In your original question, you said that the IRS did ask for an amended return.

The 1099-C amount is listed on the transcript you obtained from the IRS.

Does the letter you received from the IRS say that you can agree with them or does it ask that you file an amended return?

My sons college did after I sent them the wag and income statement because my accountant at the time did not include W2 forms
No letter from the IRS
It is for a $1786.00 cancellation of Debt

If your original return was incomplete, that is why the college is asking for an amended return.

File an amended return to include the $1786 so you can provide a copy to your son's college.

The IRS changed my refund amount from what the accountant put on my tax return

I understand. The IRS probably added the $1786 to your income and reduced your refund accordingly.

I do not know how to fill out the parts after income and deductions on the form

My best advice would be to have a tax professional prepare the amendment for you because unless you are familiar with it, it can be very confusing.

Can I find the information on the tax transcript from the IRS?

You need a copy of the 2015 tax return you originally filed, and then you can prepare the amendment.

I have that but the IRS made changes

You will have to amend your return to include the changes the IRS made. That is why I suggested you go to a local tax professional who can assist you with the amendment.

The account transcript shows the corrections the IRS made. They did not ask for an amended return
This just cost me $41 for you to tell me to go to an accountant???

I understand that, but your son's college wants the amendment. You have to file it with the IRS so you can give the school the amendment.

I have been answering all of your questions. My suggestion to go to an accountant is to make sure the amendment is done correctly.

Ummm. That was not much help. I needed help filling out the 1040x form

Will your son's college waive the requirement for the amendment if you provide the transcript from the IRS?

I don't know

I have no way to help you with filling out the 1040X because I do not have access to your documents.

Try calling the school and ask them if they will accept the IRS changes as proof that everything has been reported to the IRS.

I need to know which lnes to get the information from on my tax return to fill in lines 1-17 on the 1040x
I can figure out calling the school all by myself. That is not the help I need

I can assist you with line by line instructions for 1040X, but the price point of the question is too low.

I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Please cancel this charge. I will watch a YouTube video on it and get more information than you are giving me
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

I am a different expert and can tell you exactly what you need to do here. let me know if you'd like my help