Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Real estate tax exemption removal back taxed. Property was…

Real estate tax exemption removal...
Real estate tax exemption removal back taxed. Property was owned by church in small town. Now private owned residential. Back tax assessed is more than current year tax!
9/18/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

ALl you should have to do here is show when the title transferred. You can't be taxed for a property you didn't own.

...

Not licensed in NY, but would be glad to talk to them about this.

...

Let me know what questions you have frrom here

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986

property was owned by church for 10 years. sold to me 4-1-16. it was my understanding that property keeps its status that it had at 3-1-16. they did not bill me for real estate taxes until 9-15-17 which is what I expected. this is the school tax that goes from 7-1-17 to 6-30-18. so I was billed properly for taxes for the 7-1-17 to 6-30-18 period but they added an additional line item for the "back taxes" that totaled more than my 7-17 to 6-18 period. I went to the town (Marilla NY - a very small town) and they were surprised. they called the Erie County and they said the state determines it and it must be right.

Again. at this this point, likely calling the state is the most efficient route. Be glad to do so.

...

I'll call tomorrow, and present the situation without presenting any identifying info (don't have that anyway at this point) and see if I can reconcile.

...

Thanks for the detail. That will help.

You can stop your work. Another person from the town provided the specific code section -- the back charge is required unfortunately.

That was my fear.

...

Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) … would be appreciated

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS