Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a different situation so I hope so, OK my fiance and…

Customer Question
I have a different...

I have a different situation so I hope so

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

OK my fiance and his two small children have lived with me for 3 and a half years. The mother does not even have them for a week at a time out the year. Yet for the past three years she has claimed them on her taxes and taken the money for herself to get a place. Again the children do not live with her. She is now threatening to do it again. She has received money and gotten herself housing and the kids are still here. She is using the government for herself and is hurting her kids

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I have all the proof needed. They go to

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/18/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 11 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

How, exactly, can I help?

...

The first thing that comes to mind is that I can help you understand the process for claiming the dependency exemptions and the tax credits that come with that.

...

Did you know that the IRS system gives the credits to the first person to file? and that they will reject the return of the second taxpayer claiming the same children (social security numbers) and ask for her to provide proof that she is entitled to the exemptions? (... which it sounds like she cannot do, if you have them more than half the year and support them.)

...

How can I help?