Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Capitol gains taxes -I am a realtor. A client stands to make…

Customer Question
Capitol gains taxes -I am a...
Capitol gains taxes
-I am a realtor. A client stands to make $264000 (= sale price - purchase price). He and is ex wife have lived in the property since april 2014 (over 3 years). Part of the divorce decree states he owes exwife 120k. the question is can we deduct the 120k owed to the ex from the proceeds and thereby avoid the capitol gains on $14k.Thanks for your thoughts.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/17/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 8 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If your client and his wife owned and lived in the property for at least 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding the sale, they each can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain from the sale of the home.

The gain is the DIFFERENCE between what they paid for the home when they purchased plus closing costs and improvements and the selling price less closing costs. Each would report 50%

For example, if they purchased the house for $240,000 and had $10,000 in closing costs, $250,000 would be their basis.

If they sold the house for $500,000 and had $50,000 in closing costs, the sales price would then become $450,000.

The difference between $450,000 and 250,000 is $200,000.

They would each report half the basis, half the sales price, and half the gain. Half the gain is $100,000 for each of them, and all of the gain is excluded for each.

In your example, they each have a gain of $132,000, and each can exclude it.

Further, the title company/closing agent should not issue Form 1099-S if the property has been their primary residence for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding the sale, and the sale is NOT required to be reported on their respective tax returns.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent