Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a new CEO discovers that this company is not withholding…

Customer Question
If a new CEO...

If a new CEO discovers that this company is not withholding taxes or ssa per state/fed law on its undocumented workers, and does nothing about it (ie, continues the practice ) is he personally liable for the fines or the back taxes when and if the IRS finds out?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Documented and citizens are having taxes withheld from wages but undocumented kitchen workers are not, haven't been for 15 years. Old CEO just fired for embezzlement. New CEO is looking at a can or worms.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/16/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

First the business would be held responsible then the CEO if the business did not pay.

To implement the law, employers are required to complete Employment Eligibility Verification forms (Form I-9) for all employees, including U.S. citizens. Anyone employing an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanour. The CEO would be a responsible party as he knows of the situation.

If employers pay wages to illegal aliens, they must withhold income tax, social security, and Medicare taxes in the same manner as they would for their employees who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.

The employer must also know that possesion of an ITIN does not:

· Entitle a recipient to Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

· Create an inference regarding the individual's immigration status.

· GIVE THE INDIVIDUAL THE RIGHT TO WORK IN THE U.S.

The new CEO should correct all he has uncovered.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4