Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question and I think I know what the answer will…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question and I think I know what the answer will be. Some months ago I was contacted by someone claiming to be from the IRS, he stated that I had won a grant for $900,000.00 from the IRS. He has been very persistant and won;t leave me alone. What should I do

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Yes, he has requested money from me for fees regarding releasing the funds.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/15/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Based on your information - that is very likely a scam.

Do NOT send any money as you most likely will not see them again.

And do NOT provide any personal information over the phone.

Unfortunately I have sent money, and I have just written that off to stupidity on my part. They have really sounded professional, including a certificate from the IMF office.

Unfortunately...

Chances that you will get any money back are minimal.

You may file a police report and a fraud complain

https://www.justice.gov/criminal-fraud/report-fraud

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

but again - most likely scammers are located abroad and are not easy to be identified.

It is very likely - scammers will come back and will ask fro additional payments - the logic is that the person who already "invested" the money will very likely agree to invest more.

So be careful.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.