Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

1041 for an estate: Received a distribution from a qualified…

Customer Question
1041 for an estate...

1041 for an estate: Received a distribution from a qualified tuition program. The deceased was not the recipient. How is the distribution treated. There is earnings of 30K. I cannot find anything in IRS that indicates a penalty for early distribution would be applicable

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

An estate receives a distribution from a qualified tuition plan. The deceased was not the beneficiary of the tuition plan. The gain is 30K. I have signed up for unlimited use.....for 30 days.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/14/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 8 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Any part of the earnings that are distributed but not used for higher education is subject to a 10% penalty.

The part of a distribution representing the amount paid or contributed to the qualified tuition plan doesn't have to be included in income. This is a return of the investment in the plan.

There are exceptions to the penalty

Additional Tax on Taxable Distributions

Generally, if you receive a taxable distribution, you also must pay a 10% additional tax on the amount included in income.

Exceptions. The 10% additional tax doesn't apply to the following distributions.

1. Paid to a beneficiary (or to the estate of the designated beneficiary) on or after the death of the designated beneficiary.

2. Made because the designated beneficiary is disabled. A person is considered to be disabled if he or she shows proof that he or she can't do any substantial gainful activity because of his or her physical or mental condition. A physician must determine that his or her condition can be expected to result in death or to be of long-continued and indefinite duration.

When the account owner passes, the terms of the 529 plan will control who becomes the new account owner. Some states permit the account owner to name a contingent account owner, who'd assume all rights if the original account owner dies. In other states, account ownership may pass to the designated beneficiary.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

At the conclusion of this question, I ask that you take the time and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

You are able to ask additional questions by starting a new question thread.

Thank you in advance

Do you have any further questions?

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®