Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am preparing a corporate tax return. The company is a

payroll company based in NJ...
I am preparing a corporate tax return. The company is a payroll company based in NJ but almost all of the clients are in NYC. Is the income generated from NY clients require a NY S corporate tax return? How about NYC?
(hours are submitted electronically, checks are generated in NJ and sent via mail or courier to NYC clients)
9/14/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

No, unless you have nexus, a business presence (business assets, a payroll, branch office, etc) IN NY there's no NY Source income and no need to do a NY or NYC return.

Source income, by the way, doesn't mean that the income has it's source in NY clients. Source income happens when the service is provided IN New York. (put the emphasis in Doing business in NY on IN) Doing business IN New York... maybe better said, "doing business WHILE IN New York."

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS