Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We have a client that lives in Russia that owns property in…

Customer Question
We have a client...

We have a client that lives in Russia that owns property in the US. They did not obtain a Federal Tax ID or Social Security number. They are getting ready to sell this property to US citizens. What forms do we need to obtain to for the sellers to sign and how much tax is withheld if any?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

There was a business on the property that his nephew owned but never paid the seller any rent so there has been no income as to date on the property.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/14/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Thank you.

U.S. tax law requires that any non-resident alien who sells an interest in U.S. real property is subject to withholding for tax purposes of 15% of the gross sales price. This is not the gain on the sale but the full price of the sale is to be calculated for withholding.

If he does not have an ITIN (tax number for US) a Completed Form W-7 (one per seller) is used to obtain the ITIN.

Do we need to have a form 8288 or is that just for loans?

He will need to file a final U.S. income tax return (1040NR) to report the sale transaction. The tax return is filed to receive a refund depending on the number of owners and length of time that the property was held.

Yes, a buyer or other transferee of a U.S. real property interest, and a corporation, qualified investment entity, or fiduciary that is required to withhold tax, must file Form 8288 to report and transmit the amount withheld

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4