Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can house maintenance and property taxes be deducted on form…

Hello. Can house...

Hello. Can house maintenance and property taxes be deducted on form 1041 for a house owned by decedent prior to the Executors selling it?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The decedent died in 2015. The house was sold in 2016. Property taxes, utilities, home improvement expenses were paid out of the estate account prior to the sale. Can these all be deducted?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I don't think so.

9/14/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, generally the following expenses can be deducted (what you mention will fall under bullet point no. 3), on EITHER the 1041 or the 706 but not both.

...

• Fees paid to the fiduciary for administering the estate;
  • Attorney, accountant, and return preparer fees;
  • Expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of property;
  • Expenses in connection with the determination, collection, or refund of the estate's tax liability.

YOu mentioned home "improvements."Be sure to distinguish between repair and maintenance and improvements (which must be added to basis).

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS