Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What type of deductions will be allowable if you had

What type of deductions...

What type of deductions will be allowable if you had hurricane expenses.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Loss of work for 6 days so far, I am a substitute teacher so I am on contract. Damage to roof, loss of freezer and refrigerated food because of no power.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Not sure if Insurance will replace roof or ask us to repair, have to get an estimate which is going to take time because of the wide spread damage.

9/14/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

ok

Special tax law provisions may help taxpayers and businesses recover financially from the impact of a disaster, especially when the federal government declares their location to be a major disaster area. Depending on the circumstances, the IRS may grant additional time to file returns and pay taxes. Both individuals and businesses in a federally declared disaster area can get a faster refund by claiming losses related to the disaster on the tax return for the previous year, usually by filing an amended return.

The most tax assistance comes with filing for Casualty Loss.

You file a claim for amounts that will not be covered by Insurance. Form 4864 is used to report the losses. Your loss income is not a deductible loss unfortunately

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

The IRS has a publication for those that were in disasters.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p2194.pdf

Please stay safe and best wishes for you and your family

Thank you.And you are welcome.Alberta
Orlando, FL
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4