How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am going to hire a household employee and want to form

This answer was rated:

If I am going to hire a household employee and want to form an LLC to do so, how do I file for that LLC? I know household employees usually get filed on a Schedule H, however the LLC is not on the schedule H.
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: I want to set up the LLC to protect myself from liability, therefore I need to know what option to choose on the IRS site when obtaining an EIN number.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

An LLC is for a business entity . An LLC with only one member files a Schedule C to report the income received through the business activity.

It is true that you can pay a household employee through your business you do not set up a business just for this purpose.

A sole proprietor or single member LLC who must file Form 940 (PDF), Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return, and Form 941 (PDF), Employer's QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return, or Form 944 (PDF), Employer's ANNUAL Federal Tax Return, for business employees, may report household employee tax information on these forms instead of on Schedule H. If you choose to report the wages for a household employee on the forms shown above, be sure to pay any taxes due by the date required based on the form, making federal tax deposits if required.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm still confused a bit. If the LLC is only created for the household employee (to offer protection against me personally from my household employee slipping and falling and suing me) am I able to deduct the taxes I pay on my personal return that are filed with the 940, 941 ,944 etc?

No those would be deducted by the business but if you have no income to the business it is not a business.

You cannot form a business just to hire a household employee.

If you do have a legitimate business you can run the household employee taxes through the business but you must have an actual business purpose to form an LLC..

If you want protection from injury then look to insurance for the person performing duties in your home.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited..

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you