Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am considering taking money out of my retirement fund to…

Customer Question
I am considering taking...

I am considering taking money out of my retirement fund to buy the office condominium I work in. It has come up for sale. My understanding is that I would be able to write off the money for the purchase on as a business expense and there fore would not have to pay taxes on the retirement funds. Right?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

That all I can think of.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Are you 59 1/2 or older?

Capital assets like buildings, machinery or equipment generally cannot be written off in one year. Even if you claim sec 179, which will allow you to write of 100% of the purchase price, on some furnishing or equipment, you cannot claim sec 179 on real property like a building. A nonresidential business property has to be depreciated over 39 years. It means that you will be deducting 1/39 of the purchase price for the next 40 years.

In addition, if you are not 59 1/2 or older the distribution will be subject to 10% early distribution penalty.