How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15723
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold my house in FL a few months ago and have been staying

Customer Question

I sold my house in FL a few months ago and have been staying with some friends until I am able to move to Canada to live with my boyfriend who I also stay with some of the time. I need to give the IRS a change of address so that I get my mail. I would like to use my boyfriends address because I know I can get my mail there. Will the Irs allow me to change my address to Canada? And I don't want it to screw things up for me in Canada either because Im trying to get my permanent residence there.
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: i just don't want canada to think Im living here. its just where Im having my mail sent
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 month ago.

Changing your address with the IRS to Canada should not be a problem. The IRS suggests entering the foreign address in the format customarily used in Canada when you complete the form 8822.

Even if you do have the Canadian address that does not mean you are a permanent resident of Canada nor would it prevent you from applying for residency in Canada.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.