Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I purchased my home in 1992; my companion has lived here and…

Customer Question
I purchased my home...

I purchased my home in 1992; my companion has lived here and supported the household since day number 1, but I recently (april) refinanced to do a major/ neccessary home improvement. I had to put his name on the mortgage loan to get approved. We are not "legally / officially" married. What is my/our filing status?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Same sex situation here

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or married.
You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:
--Unmarried, or
--Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.

For federal tax purposes, the marriage of a same sex couple is treated the same as the marriage of a man to a woman.

However, individuals who have entered into a registered domestic partnership, civil union, or other similar relationship that isn't a marriage under state law aren't married for federal tax purposes.
If individuals of the same sex are married, they generally must use the married filing jointly or married filing separately filing status.

Please see some additional details here

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/answers-to-frequently-asked-questions-for-same-sex-married-couples

Let me know if you still need help with determination.