How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29969
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased my home in 1992; my companion has lived here and

Customer Question

I purchased my home in 1992; my companion has lived here and supported the household since day number 1, but I recently (april) refinanced to do a major/ neccessary home improvement. I had to put his name on the mortgage loan to get approved. We are not "legally / officially" married. What is my/our filing status?
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: Same sex situation here
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 month ago.

In general, your filing status depends on whether you are considered unmarried or married.
You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either:
--Unmarried, or
--Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 month ago.

For federal tax purposes, the marriage of a same sex couple is treated the same as the marriage of a man to a woman.

However, individuals who have entered into a registered domestic partnership, civil union, or other similar relationship that isn't a marriage under state law aren't married for federal tax purposes.
If individuals of the same sex are married, they generally must use the married filing jointly or married filing separately filing status.

Please see some additional details here

Let me know if you still need help with determination.