Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife died leaving a credit card debt. Can they put a lien…

Customer Question
My wife died leaving...

My wife died leaving a credit card debt. Can they put a lien on our home

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ky

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your loss...

The issue is that all debt of the deceased is transferred to the estate.

So the estate of your wife will be responsible for that debt.

Potentially - the creditor may put a lien on the property - but that is not so simple because a credit card debt is unsecured debt.

In order to put a lien - the credit will need to sue the estate and obtain a judgement - only after that the y may register a lien on a real property.

That is very rare because it might be costly for the creditor to take that issue to the court.

Most likely - they will agree to cancel that debt because of death.

I suggest to communicate to the credit car company informing them of the death.