Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If an officer of a public company purchases stock at a

Customer Question
If an officer of...

If an officer of a public company purchases stock at a bargain price in May, but later in August s bound by a lock-up agreement and prohibited from selling the stock, is the purchase of the stock taxable. For example, the Officer buys 100,000 shares at $1.00 in May and pays $100,000, but the stock is valued and trading on the date of purchase equal to $4.00/share or $400,000. In August, the Officer is asked and signs an agreement that restricts the stock. In May, the stock was not considered restricted at the time of issuance. At the time of purchase there was a $300,000 difference between the bargain price and the market price. Is it true that if restricted on the date of issuance, it would not be taxable? If it happened in the same year, will the event be taxable, or does the subsequent restriction cause it to be non-taxable. What happens in the future?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
It this being reviewed? I paid. Seems to have been lost
Answered in 1 day by:
9/14/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 11 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, a US CPA, and can research the issue and advise.

Let's confirm this is a US tax issue for a US citizen. Then I can help, and will send you an offer for the research time.

PDtax

It is for a U.S. Corporation for a U.S. Taxpayer (Citizen). Pre-Paid

See my offer for the research time.

REJECT YOUR OFFER. I was asked to pay up front based upon my question. The price was actually higher then I have ever paid and now you want more. Please cancel and immediately refund my deposit. I think JustAnswer is playing "bait and switch" here and just don't appreciate it. AGAIN PLEASE CANCEL and REFUND MY DEPOSIT IMMEDIATELY.