How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12705
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nys corp filed as ct-3 in error and should be filed as s

Customer Question

nys corp filed as ct-3 in error and should be filed as s corp how do you correct return
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: taxpayer did not inform me that entity is an s corp nys return was therefore filed a regular corporation how do i correct what was filed and file it as a nys s corp.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Complete your amended return as if you are filing the return for the first time.

Submit all the forms relevant to the information in your amended return (even if you already submitted these forms with your original return), such as:

  • forms for any credits you are claiming or amending,
  • forms you submitted as attachments to your original return that are still applicable (for example, IT-201-ATT or IT-203-ATT), and
  • all your wage and tax statements


Include a cover letter explaining that the original return was prepared as a corporate (ct) return inadvertently, and that once you learned that this was an S-Corp, you are now submitting the S-Corp return (CT-3-S) as an amendment to the original filing.