Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Some years ago I built a house on land I inherited. If I…

Customer Question
Some years ago I...

Some years ago I built a house on land I inherited. If I sell the house and I get less than its cost and the assessed value of the land I inherited, can I claim a capital loss?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Land assessed at $350,000, house built for $210,000. It may now sell at $400,000. Is that a capital loss of $160000?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

What did you use the house for? Was this your own home?

Beach house, second home

You generally have a capital loss if you sell the asset for less than your adjusted basis BUT losses from the sale of personal-use property, such as your home or vacation/second home, aren't tax deductible.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

My home phone is(###) ###-####

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it. Please post below if you do not understand and need more info.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4