Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I was informed of a certified mail from the IRS arriving at

Customer Question

hi! I was informed of a certified mail from the IRS arriving at my residence in the states. However, I have been traveling out of the states for the past 6 months, and do not return until next year. Is there something I can do proactively?
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: not that I know of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 month ago.

Hi My name’s Lane - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

First, the more commonsensical ideas; have the mail forwarded to you. Have someone open and scan, and send via email.

...

Second, you can call IRS at(###) ###-#### and ask what the communication is about. The representative can pull up your file and tell you what's going on.

...

Also, you'll find here: https://www.irs.gov/help/help-with-tax-questions-international-taxpayers special phone numbers for those overseas.

...

From there: " ... ***-***-**** for international callers or overseas taxpayers. (Overseas taxpayers may also fax a tax question to(###) ###-####or use our international contact address page.)"