Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I turn 70 1/2 years old on October 12, 2017. I have a Roth…

Customer Question
I turn 70 1/2...

I turn 70 1/2 years old on October 12, 2017.I have a Roth IRA that I opened on 12/15/2014 with a conversion from my IRAI want to withdraw $30K in 2017 from my Roth IRA (current market value of ROTH is $75K)I don’t meet the 5-year rule for my Roth, so I’ll pay taxes on the EARNINGs from the $30KI may be subject to the 10% penalty… BUTI’m over 59 1/2… and
our 2017 tax return will show Unreimbursed medical costs > 7.5% of our AGI (joint return, both born before 1951)AM I subject to the 10% penalty tax on the $30K

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

No-- situation and question fully described in previous send

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/13/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 11 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Only if you receive a distribution that is not a qualified distribution, you have to pay the 10% additional tax on early distributions. In your case your distribution is Qualified because you are over 59 1/2.

You will not be subject to a 10% penalty.

I sincerely ***** ***** above is clear but please let me know or rate in a positive way.