Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am 64 y/o receive a SS monthly pension. I will turn 65 on

Hi, Sir or Madam: I am...
Hi, Sir or Madam:
I am 64 y/o receive a SS monthly pension. I will turn 65 on December 30, 2017. On April 2016 I married a German Citizen and I be moving end of December 2017 to Germany. What are the steps I should follow to continue receiving my SS pension regularly. As soon I start the process of German Resident.
9/13/2017
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hello, my name is*****'m an attorney and I see this question quite often. Here's what you need to know:

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) administers social security benefits overseas. For Germany, they are located at the American Consulate General in Frankfurt. Their phone number is *****–90–555–1100. Telephone service is provided on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.

You can visit the Consulate Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12 noon:

Gießener Str. 30

60435 Frankfurt am Main

Federal Republic of Germany

You can also email questions regarding social security to the consulate here: https://de.usembassy.gov/social-security-benefits-retirement-survivors-disability-and-medicare/

I don't know if you have an online account with social security right now; if you do, you should be able to access it after you move to Germany. If you don't, and you want to create one, you should do it now before you move, as this is a service for residents of the U.S. only. If you wait until after you move to Germany you will have to appear at the FBU office in Frankfurt personally to register for your online account.

Many American citizens who move to other countries have found it convenient to maintain an alternate address in the U.S. and keep their bank account so that their social security benefits can be directly deposited with no interruption. If that's feasible for you, I recommend it. In any event you should contact FBU and let them know your plans, and they'll provide you with any information you need.

Good luck with your marriage and your move!

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney