Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live with a man, who has MS..I've quit my career, and now

Customer Question
Good day ..i live with...
Good day ..i live with a man , who has MS..I've quit my career , and now take care of him...he has a trust fund ..they are willing to pay me for his home health care ..28,800 a yr ..for round the clock care ..so if I file a 1099 independent contractor .it has me paying apx 8,000 in taxes ..is there a better filing status for what I do maybe domestic services.that will save me on what I pay ...I'm not a proffesional care with my own LLC...I'm just someone , that lives with this disabled man and takes care of him drives, him etc ? .
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
9/12/2017
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 2 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. I would suggest you form a limited liability entity...an S Corp or an LLC electing to be treated as an S Corp...to save some of the self-employment taxes that make up that $8,000. Both the LLC and the S Corp are limited liability entities meaning your personal assets would not be at risk for the debts and liabilities of your entity. And, both are "flow-through" entities for tax purposes...meaning that the entity does not pay taxes; rather the operations of the entities flow through to your own personal tax return. The LLC is more flexible as it allows for preferential allocations of profits and losses, but if you are a single owner, that probably doesn't make much difference. The LLC also is a bit less cumbersome administratively as your filing requirements. And, unlike an S Corp, the LLC is not required to have formal meetings and keep minutes of those meetings. The biggest issue with the LLC is that as the owner of an LLC, you are considered to be self-employed and must pay the 15.3% self-employment tax contributions towards Medicare and social security. As such, the entire net income of the LLC is subject to this tax. With an S Corp, if you work for the entity, you must pay yourself 'reasonable compensation.' Basically, the shareholder must be paid fair market value, or the IRS might reclassify any additional corporate earnings as 'wages.' Unlike an LLC, where you are subject to employment tax on the entire net income of the business, only the wages of the S-Corp shareholder who is an employee are subject to employment tax. The remaining income is paid to the owner as a 'distribution' which is either taxed at a lower rate or or not at all depending upon the particular facts. BUT, as shareholder, you must receive reasonable compensation. If you get greedy by paying yourself a lower salary with the resulting higher distributions, you risk the reclassifying your distributions as wages. Typically, the best solution is to form an LLC and then elect for it to be treated as an S Corp for tax purposes; this results in the best of both worlds...the flexibility of an LLC and the advantageous self-employment tax treatment of an S Corp. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Hi there. I'm just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary.

Also, I have another idea for you that I will be happy to share with you once I know you're still with me. :) Richard

Richard, Tax Attorney