Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Question on an 1120s for a restaurant.. when entering the…

Customer Question
Question on an 1120s...

Question on an 1120s for a restaurant.. when entering the wages paid to employees.. do you enter the total amount of box 1.. even though this box includes tips that did not run through the business?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Box 1 is different than box 3

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Box 3 represents the amount the employer paid.. the box 7 is tips the employee reported

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/12/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Tips must be included into gross business income.

"did not run through the business" is not correct interpretation...

Tips will be included into gross business income in additional to invoices.

When you deduct wages - you include the total amount from W2 box 1, but there might be additional amounts withheld from wages - contributions into retirement plans, employees' portion of medical insurance withheld from wages, etc.

So potentially the amount of deducted wages could be more than the total amount from W2 box 1.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney