Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Are Uber drivers allowed to claim depreciation on their

cars? How about special allowance...
Are Uber drivers allowed to claim depreciation on their cars? How about special allowance depreciation?
9/12/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, Uber drivers have the same options as any other business owner, as it relates to business use of the vehicle.

...

You can use either the actual cost method or the standard mileage rate (but not both)

...

Depreciation is one of the ACTUAL costs.

...

And yes, section 179 depreciation is available, (bonus depreciation as well, but to use bonus depreciation, the vehicle must be a new purchase)

In our system, it is called special allowance. Would that be bonus depreciation?

Yes, sorry to use jargon. The special depreciation allowance is ore commonly referred to as bonus depreciation.

Thank you.

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS