Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How much is it to hire an enrolled agent to negotiate a old…

Customer Question
How much is it...

How much is it to hire an enrolled agent to negotiate a old IRS amount due

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Trying to get a divorce and there is an unpaid tax from 2012...The judge ordered him to try to make a settlement and pay the claim before disbursing any money from the IRA...He is in control of the IRA so he has been dragging his feet so the judge put it in our court to try to negoiate the amount owed.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Will the husband have to sign anything to get the ball rolling?? And also about how long does this process take.....so cost and time are important factors

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/12/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 9 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

It's a good idea to settle this old tax bill now, before your divorce is final.

Negotiations can be quick if it can be full paid or take years of a negotiated settlement for less than three full amount is required. Cost to hire a tax pro will vary based on the complexity and time involved.

Thanks for asking at just answer. I can suggest a phone conference to discuss your options and specifics privately.

Customer/p>

Premium service option is not opening right now on my end. i will try again on another PC.

Premium service still not available. I'll let site mgmt know.

Hi again.Customerhere. I have been unable to post a Premium Service offer to discuss things.

I would like to try and respond given what you have provided.

IRS settlement WILL require your estranged husband's cooperation and consent. And it likely will take time to complete, unless full payment of the old tax debt is possible. The negotiation process can take months or longer, depending on the complexity.

That's why I suggested we try to speak about your case specifics. An installment arrangement he executes could be done quickly, and the rules have been relaxed so that more taxpayers qualify. That could release the claim from divorce settlement, unless you are jointly liable.

Divorces often have a guarantee for old taxes, where one spouse agrees to absorb the tax debt. The problems arise when that promise is not kept, and IRS ignores the divorce agreement and looks to the other spouse. Then you have to return to divorce court to force compliance with the agreement, costing thousands in legal and tax pro fees.

Your approach, cleaning up the tax debt before finalizing divorce, is a much better way. I just can't say how much this might cost or how long it will take without knowing more about the issues.

Customer/p>