Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My sister has an IRA and has just named her husband as 50%

Customer Question
My sister has an...

My sister has an IRA and has just named her husband as 50% and myself her brother as 50% primary bebficary. She is moving the money a trustee to trustee. Does my sisters spouse have to sing off on such a designation?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

??? did you get my question?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/12/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 9 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The answer is usually no. If you have an IRA, the rules are different. The spousal rules under ERISA don't control IRAs and the Tax Code doesn't require you to name your spouse as the beneficiary of your IRA. So, in general, you can name anyone as the IRA beneficiary without having to get your spouse's permission.

You are most welcome.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.