Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was interested in investing and I have little experience.

Hi I was interested in...
Hi I was interested in investing and I have little experience. So I was wondering what your thoughts were about the investing app called acorns.
9/11/2017
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is*****'m an attorney, and I specialize in U.S. personal income tax. Many of my clients are investors of varying levels, but all of them usually have one overriding goal: to make money!

The "Acorns" program is a well thought out, and popular program for a variety of reasons. It is especially attractive to people just starting out as investors and who want to "test the waters," so to speak. I'm assuming that you've checked out the Acorns website and are familiar with how it works, so I'l get straight to the point. In my opinion Acorns is an excellent way to get started as an investor. Just remember that investing is a continuing learning experience. Learning about securities, how they are rated, how risk is determined, how world events affect the stock market...it's a fascinating way to spend a day. Of course, you won't get rich overnight by investing your spare change every day but the experience is invaluable. Once you're comfortable with the idea of finding an investment and putting your money into it, you can "graduate" to a regular brokerage account, of which there are many to choose from.

And then there's the internet. There are literally thousands of sources to help you get started. For example, The Balance has published an excellent outline for beginning investors that you can read here - https://www.thebalance.com/investing-for-beginners-4074004 - but to get back to your question, Acorns has proven to be quite popular and successful and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. Just remember that if you're serious about becoming a successful investor, you aren't going to learn everything you need to know from the Acorns app, but it's a great way to get started and even save a little money on the way.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney