Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I had received Social Security Disability benefits for the…

I had received Social...

I had received Social Security Disability benefits for the last 3 1/2 years. I am age 62 right now, and will be 63 in March, 2018. I've only resided in Connecticut my entire life, but now reside in FL, due to the expenses that CT has. I cannot afford to live in CT, and now reside with someone. Anyway, because of the expenses that CT brought to me, in living alone, I wanted to work only part-time, so I had a position which was only 1 week each month part-time of little income, and because of my disability and the stress that position (a Census Bureau position), I planned to resign, but before I did that I took another part-time position with Amazon which offered weekly earnings. I thought that that would not be a problem, but Social Security had learned of my 2016 income through my Income tax filings, and wanted more specifics of my week-to-week earnings, which I complied with in July, 2017. In doing that they stopped my benefits, and said that I was over the allowable amount and said that I have to reimburse them a substantial amount, too. I did resign from both positions; the Census resignation was in May, 2017, and Amazon was in July, 2017. What should I do?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My initial filing to receive my past 3 1/2 years of benefits was first denied 2 times until a Judge approved my disability, and from that day forward until last month I received my benefits. The approval was made with representation through a CT lawyer. Should I go back to the CT lawyer, or look to find a FL lawyer?

9/11/2017
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

IF yo are disabled and collecting Social Security, your earnings are limited. A disabled (nonblind) person applying for or receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,170 per month by working. You are allowed to work for 36 months while still collecting SSDI. After 36 months, they stop your SSDI.

Social Security's own website says that if your medical condition forces you to stop working, your benefits will be re-started. See https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf You do not have to reapply, you just need to tell them that you had to stop work. You can call a special number (1-***-***-****) and talk to them about your work.

It is normal for SSA to deny people disability the first time or two, until they hire an attorney. My father had major back surgery and could no longer work as a carpenter, his profession. He was denied SSDI the first two times as well, and he had to hire an attorney.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!

Thank you for your response. I'm going to follow-through with your advise, and what you told me. Is there a way that I may keep you informed?

Yes, if you ever have any questions, you can request me. You can also contact me at***@******.*** and I can help if you have a specific question.

Please don't forget to rate me. It is how the question is removed from my open-question list.

Thanks!

taxmanrog
I will do that. Thank you, again. Debra