Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is it true if you rent a property for less than market value…

Customer Question
Is it true if you...
Is it true if you rent a property for less than market value you are taxed for the difference in the state of Maryland.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/11/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 11 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It is not the income tax, it is the property tax. Rental income is often used to determine value of your property for tax assessment. If you rent it for less than fair market value, the assessor will increase your rental income to the fair market value to determine value of your house and what will be your property tax.