How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds publishes a per diem rate by city/county in

Customer Question publishes a per diem rate by city/county in California. I am the employer and I pay the lodging expense. Am I required by law to pay the meals and incidental rate posted by the
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You don't have to use per diem, you can reimburse your employees against actual receipts and expense report. Or you can give them allowance per day that is less than the per diem and if employee spend more he can claim the difference on their personal return. But if you give him an allowance that is higher than the per diem you will have to report it on his w2 as income and he may deduct the actual cost (or actual per diem) on his personal return.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 month ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?