Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

GSA.gov publishes a per diem rate by city/county in

Customer Question
California. I am the employer...
GSA.gov publishes a per diem rate by city/county in California. I am the employer and I pay the lodging expense. Am I required by law to pay the meals and incidental rate posted by the GSA.gov?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You don't have to use per diem, you can reimburse your employees against actual receipts and expense report. Or you can give them allowance per day that is less than the per diem and if employee spend more he can claim the difference on their personal return. But if you give him an allowance that is higher than the per diem you will have to report it on his w2 as income and he may deduct the actual cost (or actual per diem) on his personal return.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?