Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

D Form 8804 and 8805 need to be filed for a foreign

partnership if the partnership posted...
D Form 8804 and 8805 need to be filed for a foreign partnership if the partnership posted a loss for the year?
Sorry - computer glitch. Here's what I was trying to ask: Do forms 8804 and 8805 need to filed for foreign partner if the partnership posted a loss of the year?
9/9/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Every partnership (other than a publicly traded partnership) that has effectively connected gross income allocable to a foreign partner must file a Form 8804, regardless of whether it had ECTI allocable to a foreign partner.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8804.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Does this mean that you are required to file the return if the partnership posted a loss?
I mean file the forms?

Did the partnership have GROSS income?

If so, yes.

Sorry, I'm not understanding you. The partnership has negative gross income. Does that mean the form needs to be filed?

Negative gross income or a loss?

For example, gross income of $100,000 minus $125,000 in expenses would be a loss of $25,000.

But there is still gross income of $100,000.

Make sense?

Ah, sorry! Got it. Thanks so much!

Not a problem. It's been my pleasure.

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent