Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a summary of my retirement plan balances. MGH says

Customer Question
they do not owe me...
I have a summary of my retirement plan balances. MGH says they do not owe me the money. It doesn't say projected or estimated, it says my balance as of 12/31/13 is 14, 698.00. Don't they owe me this money now that I am retired?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I did file for a distribution and received 350.70 after taxes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
9/8/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

If this is a defined contribution plan (401(k), money purchase plan, cash balance plan, profit sharing) then the balance is the balance.

...

The plan document likely says that you can roll to an IA OR take a distribution and pay the tax. But, unless there's some defined benefit plan component (old fashioned pension type plan) your retirement doesn't change the balance in the plan.

...

....... which, again, you can either roll or distribute and pay taxes.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney