Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there a statute of limitation for sales tax in ohio?

JA: Because laws vary from...
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Columbus Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was contacted in 2013 about 2009 taxes stating I owed from 2009. I sent the collection agency proof of check and stamped paper showing proof. The gentle men said I will make note of it in your file. Never heard anything back until now 2017 and I let them know who I was corresponding with and sent old emails and I was informed that he no longer worked there and they wanted copy of cancelled check. I called bank and they said they could not go back more than 7 years. I don't live in state of Ohio since 2013.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

No sales or use tax assessment can be issued against a vendor, seller, or consumer more than four years after the later of either: (1) the return date for the period in which the sales or purchase was made, or (2) the date the return was actually filed.

The statute of limitations does not apply when a vendor, seller, or consumer fails to file a return, when the vendor or consumer and the Tax Commissioner waive the time limit in writing, or when the Tax Commissioner has substantial evidence of amounts of taxes collected by a vendor from consumers on retail sales which were not returned to the state.

Are they saying you never filed a return or never paid?

I did file and I did pay. I stated in email all the details, a collection agency sent me notice stating they wanted payment for 2009, and contacted me in 2013. I sent them copy of duplicate check and the guy said he would make note in my file. Now in 2017 they are still trying to collect so I sent all emails from the guy in 2013 and the duplicate copy of check, they want the cancelled check and the bank informed me they do not go back past 7 years.

The statute of limitations (4 years) has expired.

Have you tried contacting the State of Ohio to get confirmation that you filed and paid?

This attempt at collection could very well be a SCAM or the collection company may not have the correct records.

Ok thank you

My pleasure.

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent