Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I have always filed joint returns. We were

audited in 2003 and 04...
My wife and I have always filed joint returns. We were audited in 2003 and 04. We owed taxes. Our returns were always filed on time. We set up an installment agreement for back taxes in 2008. All taxes from then on were paid. Due to a major medical problems in 2016, I not my wife or jointly, filed chapter 7 due to other debts I owed, not my wife. She owns the house and has her own checking account. We have had seperate assets since 2003. My 7 was discharged in 2017. Now she, alone, is getting notices for 1040 taxes owed from 2007 and 08.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is not real estate but Oklahoma
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: nto yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/8/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because you always filed a joint return, you are both liable for any taxes that were due. It does not matter that your wife has assets/bank accounts that are separate from yours.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Did you read my question? This is not a real estate question. This is a statues of limitation for collection.

I apologize, but I did read your question.

I'm not understanding why you provided a negative rating without giving me a chance to respond to your latest information.

The ten-year limitations period begins to run on the date of the tax assessment. This is the date an IRS official signs the applicable form at an IRS Service Center. For example, if you do not pay in full when you file your tax return, you will receive written notice of the amount you owe, a bill.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/time-limits-irs-collections.html

I'm trying to naviagate my way around your web site, a little confusing, and I don't like giving me CC info out and every time I turn around your co. want more money. I signed up for $5 question. Sorry for the response but I only have 1 question and it does not involve real estae.

I'm an expert/user on this site--just like you.

I understand your question was not related to real estate at all, and my answer was tax in nature, not real estate.

Any notices/requests for money from Just Answer are system generated. I have nothing to do with billing.

The automated exchange when you posted your question also has nothing to do with me, and I have no control over it.

Your question was posted in the correct category--tax--and I answered you from a tax perspective.

Your original question did not contain anything about the statute of limitations on collections. Once you provided that additional important information, I answered you.

OK.What do you need from me? I know the statue of limitation for 1040 taxes owed collection is 3 years. And, I'm by no way an expert on your site. We filed jointly for 38 years. I filed personal chapter 7. Now my wife is responsible for all our 1040 taxes owed. Again, does she fall into the statue limitation from taxes owed 10 years ago?
R we done?

Did you not see my response posted at 1:43 PM?

"The ten-year limitations period begins to run on the date of the tax assessment. This is the date an IRS official signs the applicable form at an IRS Service Center. For example, if you do not pay in full when you file your tax return, you will receive written notice of the amount you owe, a bill."

The date of tax assessment is different than the tax year for which taxes are owed.

I've never heard of the 10 year limitation. 2007 and 2008 we were assesed in 2010.

The statute of limitations for collection by the IRS is 10 years.

If the assessment was received in 2010, 10 years will be 2020.

OK. Thanks for your help.. And, years I know 2010 to 2020 is 10 years.I don't need a math lesson, just asking questions.

My pleasure.

Please take a moment to reconsider your initial negative rating so that I can receive credit for answering you.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for taking the time to reconsider your rating of my answer. I really appreciate it!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent