Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

With Hurricane Irma hitting Florida, will the September

Customer Question
business tax deadline be extended? JA...
With Hurricane Irma hitting Florida, will the September business tax deadline be extended?
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a business and filed for an automatic extension, so my taxes would normally have to be filed by September 15th. Hurricane Irma is going to hit Florida Sunday and have impact for goodness knows how long. I am under a mandatory evacuation at this time. Will my tax deadline be extended?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: No - except that I do not owe any taxes.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The IRS has not announced that YET but if Irma does anything like Harvey they should within a week after the Hurricane. They did not announce for Texas until Aug. 28.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-gives-tax-relief-to-victims-of-hurricane-harvey-parts-of-texas-now-eligible-extension-filers-have-until-jan-31-to-file

So far all they have issued is the following for Sept 6 2017

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/as-hurricane-irma-threatens-irs-urges-taxpayers-to-prepare-for-hurricanes-floods-and-other-disasters

We will just have to watch but the dates covered would generally include the first date for mandatory evac.

Stay safe

The tax returns are due to be on September 15, next Thursday - I am already under mandatory evacuation and the likely Cat 4 hurricane will hit my county on Sunday through Monday. The whole state is under a state of emergency; and my county will be hit by a storm surge Sunday or Monday. If the IRS waits to announce this for over a week, my tax returns will already be past due.

Yes I know (in Ga myself) but they would extend the date back to the evac date and no penalty for not filing

If an affected taxpayer receives a late filing or late payment penalty notice from the IRS that has an original or extended filing, payment or deposit due date falling within the postponement period, the taxpayer would call the number on the notice to have the penalty abated.

You asked will the deadline be extended, they have not announced that yet but I feel they will and they will allow late filing with no penalty

The IRS today released relief for US Virgin Islands. I will continue to check and update as they release more on Irma.

Hello, I hope this update finds you safe.

Senator Rubio has pressed the IRS to go ahead and declare relief for Florida. Here is a link

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Press-Releases&id=6A8E5D84-A921-4436-A0AD-E8FDB999C2DB

Hello again

Here is the latest update from the IRS

So far, the IRS filing and payment relief applies to the following localities identified by FEMA for Individual Assistance due to Hurricane Irma:

Victims of Hurricane Irma that took place beginning on Sept. 4, 2017 in parts of Florida may qualify for tax relief from the Internal Revenue Service.

The President has declared that a major disaster exists in the State of Florida. Following the recent disaster declaration for individual assistance issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the IRS announced today that affected taxpayers in Florida will receive tax relief.

Individuals who reside or have a business in Broward, Charlotte, Clay, Collier, Duval, Flagler, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach, Pinellas, Putnam, Sarasota and St. Johns may qualify for tax relief.

Please let me know if you need further updates

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4