Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The IRS says I didn't file my 2016 taxes, but I show a

The IRS says I didn't...
The IRS says I didn't file my 2016 taxes, but I show a payment through VISA to the US Treasury for the amount I show on my 1040. Can you help me?
JA: The Financial Software Technician will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I filed through Turbo Tax online and the payment was charged to my visa account on 4/18/2017
JA: Is there anything else the Financial Software Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
9/8/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. You simply need to reply to the notice you received (there should be an address on the notice) that the taxes were filed via turbotax on XX/XX/XXXX. Include the verification of acceptance and a documentation of the visa charge to US treasury.

...

I would send via certified mail OR if you want signature proof, use FedEx.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

DId you see my answer? Do you have further questions?

...

You can, of course, go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript to see f there's a record of filing but if the system kicked out the notice to you it's highly doubtful that it would be there 9as that's the same system).

...

But again, with proof of payment, they CANNOT charge any penalties.

...

The two basic penalties that all IRS penalties fall into (unless fraud is suspected) are the late/non filing penalty and the under/non payment penalty, have as their basis "tax due."

...

So if you can show that the tax due was paid, they cannot charge a penalty. (0 x Y) = 0

...

Please let me know if you have further questions

Not satisfied

So sorry, but this is what it is. To tell you something that is not true would be potentially damaging too you and a breach of ethics for me.

...

WHY are you not satisfied?

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS