Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I received a w-2 for sick pay from a 3rd party no

Customer Question

i received a w-2 for sick pay from a 3rd party no withholding taxes were taken out is this sick pay taxable
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: the w2 was issued from my job i was off work for the whole year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: n
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 month ago.

were these benefits purchased by you, or did your employer provide them for you?

If you purchased insurance yourself, with funds that were after tax, then it is not taxable. This is because you purchased it with money that was already taxed.

If the proceeds are from a plan that was provided to you from your employer, then it is taxable.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should the w2 i received be filed with my tax return