Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm 73, fully employed, and took my first Required Minimum…

Customer Question
I'm 73, fully employed...

I'm 73, fully employed, and took my first Required Minimum Distribution from my IRA.I was told that by moving my IRA into my 403 B before December 2017, I can avoid the Required Min

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I didn't finish. I was told that by moving my IRA into my 403b, before the end of 2017, I could avoid taking the RMD for 2018. Is this true? Is this legal?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

NO, that's it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/7/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 11 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

A rollover from a Traditional IRA to a 403b is an allowed action. Under the rules for RMD if you're still working at 70½, your current employer's retirement plan may allow you to wait until after you retire to take your first RMD from that plan. In this case, you have until April 1, the year after you retire, to take your first RMD.
Before you do this rollover you need to check with your employer and make certain that their 403b allows the deferring of the RMD.

If they do and you rollover then no RMD would be required for 2018.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.