Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Trying to understand if I can write off the purchase of a

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Trying to understand if I can write off the purchase of a computer
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am currently employed and am working from home one day a week. I am accessing my office machine from home on an older PC
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: I am also contracted to teach as an adjunct instructor.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can claim the prorated cost of the computer as a business expense (pertaining to your self employment) and the prorated cost of the computer as an employee business expense.

You will have to determine what percentage of the computer is used for business, employee business, and personal.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can further assist you.