Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Someone is asking me if the unemployment they filed for

Customer Question
during 2016 can be taxed...
Someone is asking me if the unemployment they filed for during 2016 can be taxed in that year, despite them having to wait until 2017 to get a lump sum deposit. All of the weeks they were eligible for the benefits were in July-November 2016. They got the approval in January of 2017.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/7/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Unemployment is taxable in the year received not the year a person may have been eligible. If you received unemployment compensation during the year, you should receive Form 1099-G, showing the amount you were paid. Any unemployment compensation received must be included in your income for the year the benefit was paid.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4