How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3811
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] I am currently on my F1- OPT visa working as

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hello, I am currently on my F1- OPT visa working as a full-time employee at an IT company. I came to know that I am exempted from Medicare and Social security taxes when I am on OPT. My payroll was running since last year July and the taxes were cut since then. Recently, my employerhas filed H1-B visa for me. I came to know that I am exempted from Social Security and Medicare taxes when I am on OPT. I immediately asked my HR to waive the taxes from my paycheck. When I asked my HR person that I am exempted from Social security and Medicare taxes she asked me to consult a tax attorney and ask for guidance.I want to know,If I am really exempted from these taxes?Currently, my H1B is in process the employer has received an Request for Evidence notice and I am unsure of my status so am I still exempted from these taxes, till I get the H1B approved?Am I eligible for full-time benefits if I get these taxes waived?I need a mail that answers these questions that I can forward to my HR?How can I get back my tax money back that was deducted since August?I want you to send me a letter that I can show to my employer so that they waive my taxes from now till I get my H1B approved.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with a second opinion of your question which was answered by a colleague of mine.

Roger's answer to your original questions is absolutely correct and on point.

You can print what Roger posted and show it to your employer and/or request a phone call so Roger prepare the letter you are asking for.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,