Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Sales tax in Florida on motor vehicles, what is the date the…

Sales tax in Florida on...
Sales tax in Florida on motor vehicles, what is the date the sale needs to be reported to the DOR?
9/6/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The sale/transfer of title must be done within 30 calendar days.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center/consumer-education/selling-vehicle-florida/selling-vehicle-private-sale/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi Barb, My question was about the date to be used when a registered dealer in reporting the sale to the DOR and paying the sales tax collected by the dealer (certificate holder) after invoicing and delivery of a car to a retail buyer. What is the measurement start date used in determining timely filing and payment?
What are the administrative and legal appeal procedures to contest a notice of sales tax deficiency?
How do I switch to an on-line response since the tax professional is not availae now?
I'm not getting a response from Barb; can you switch me to anther professional? I probably need a tax attorney or CPA that deals with Fl Sales tax deficiencies.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Though your initial inquiry was worded a bit differently, I responded to your initial inquiry regarding the sales tax matter. I copied my response below.

----------------------------

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A site for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you.

Q1: client is a used car dealer; are tax collected from customer based on the sale/delivery date? or date title was applied for at the county tag office?

A1: At the time of the sale. SEE BELOW:

--------------------

212.06(1)(a) The aforesaid tax at the rate of 6 percent of the retail sales price as of the moment of sale, 6 percent of the cost price as of the moment of purchase, or 6 percent of the cost price as of the moment of commingling with the general mass of property in this state, as the case may be, shall be collectible from all dealers as herein defined on the sale at retail, the use, the consumption, the distribution, and the storage for use or consumption in this state of tangible personal property or services taxable under this chapter. The full amount of the tax on a credit sale, installment sale, or sale made on any kind of deferred payment plan shall be due at the moment of the transaction in the same manner as on a cash sale.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

file:///C:/Users/angel/Downloads/20115%20F.S.%20212.06.pdf

---------------------------------

Q2: Are there any appeal rights to the DOR based on sales tax audit?

A2: Yes, there is, if you file within the required time frame. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------

Q3: What are the administrative and legal appeal procedures to contest a notice of sales tax deficiency?

A3: Appealing to the Department of Revenue in Florida

If you do not agree with a penalty or decision made by the Florida Department of Revenue, you have the right to file an appeal and ask for reconsideration. In the case of a department appeal, an official petition must be filed with the Department of Revenue within sixty days after the issuance of the assessment that has been proposed.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/florida/sales-tax-appeals

Following is a link to a sales tax write up that might be beneficial to you to look at.

http://www.floridasalestax.com/Florida-Tax-Law-Blog/2013/January/FL-TAX-ALERT-USED-CAR-DEALERS-TARGETED-.aspx

-------------------------------

THIS THREAD:

Q: Sales tax in Florida on motor vehicles, what is the date the sale needs to be reported to the DOR?

A: The date that the sale is reported to the FL DOR is the date that your sales tax return is due. Sales tax returns are due on different dates for businesses. You must first find out if your filing basis is on a monthly, semi-monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/florida/sales-tax-filing-schedule

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have provided you with the information you seek, I ask that you take the time and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant