Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

HRBlock has been doing our taxes for the past several years.

Customer Question
Hello,HRBlock has been doing our...
Hello,HRBlock has been doing our taxes for the past several years. We have always bought their prenium service "The Best of Both Worlds" for peace of mind. The IRS has audited us reacently for year 2014 and now they want to examine years 2015 and 2016. The IRS just sent us a letter stating we owe them a large amount of money. We are in shock to say the least. HR Block met with the IRS for year 2014. Since we bought the Best of Both Worlds service from HR Block, will HR Block be responsible for paying this money owed to the IRS?Thank you
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/6/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 9 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If the HRBlock made a mistake than they will pay fees and penalties and you will be responsible for additional tax (that would be due if the return was prepared correctly the first time). If you purchased "peace of mind", an additional service that would pay up to 5K of your tax liability in case of the IRS audit, than the HRBlock will pay the fees and you will get 1099Misc for the amount of tax paid by HRBlock.

However, if the mistake was yours (you forgot to mention additional income, form or cannot prove a deduction you claimed) than the HRBlock will help you but will not pay the balance, penalty or interest.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?