Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I get a 2006 W2 Form from my current employer, I

Customer Question
How can I get a...
How can I get a 2006 W2 Form from my current employer
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to file my 2006 Tax return and trying to see how I can get my Federal Tax W2 Form for 2006.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
9/6/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Businesses should keep employment tax records, such as W-2 forms, for at least six years so it is very doubtful that your employer would still have the copy of the W2 now.

You could request that from the SSA but they will charge you because the reason you need it is not for Social Security reasons.

It is past the 10 years a little bit but you can request a transcript. Specifically a Wage and Income Transcript - it shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4