Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When does the Florida sales tax liability due to the DOR'

When does the Florida...

When does the Florida sales tax liability due to the DOR' invoice & delivery or title registration with the county tag office?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Client is a used car dealer; are tax collected from customer based on the sale/delivery date? or date title was applied for at the county tag office?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Deficiency is being claimed for late reporting fees. Are there any appeal rights to the DOR based on sales tax audit?

9/6/2017
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A site for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Q1: client is a used car dealer; are tax collected from customer based on the sale/delivery date? or date title was applied for at the county tag office?

A1: At the time of the sale. SEE BELOW:

--------------------

212.06(1)(a) The aforesaid tax at the rate of 6 percent of the retail sales price as of the moment of sale, 6 percent of the cost price as of the moment of purchase, or 6 percent of the cost price as of the moment of commingling with the general mass of property in this state, as the case may be, shall be collectible from all dealers as herein defined on the sale at retail, the use, the consumption, the distribution, and the storage for use or consumption in this state of tangible personal property or services taxable under this chapter. The full amount of the tax on a credit sale, installment sale, or sale made on any kind of deferred payment plan shall be due at the moment of the transaction in the same manner as on a cash sale.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

file:///C:/Users/angel/Downloads/20115%20F.S.%20212.06.pdf

---------------------------------

Q2: Are there any appeal rights to the DOR based on sales tax audit?

A2: Yes, there is, if you file within the required time frame. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------------

Appealing to the Department of Revenue in Florida

If you do not agree with a penalty or decision made by the Florida Department of Revenue, you have the right to file an appeal and ask for reconsideration. In the case of a department appeal, an official petition must be filed with the Department of Revenue within sixty days after the issuance of the assessment that has been proposed.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/florida/sales-tax-appeals

Following is a link to a sales tax write up that might be beneficial to you to look at.

http://www.floridasalestax.com/Florida-Tax-Law-Blog/2013/January/FL-TAX-ALERT-USED-CAR-DEALERS-TARGETED-.aspx

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If I have provided you with the information you seek, I ask that you take the time and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant