Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is it allowed to not include a deduction of my fed return…

is it allowed to not...
is it allowed to not include a deduction of my fed return that increases my tax on my city return?
9/5/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Yes, you can always OMIT deductions. The collections division of IRS will only DISallow deductions that are taken and shouldn't be AND require ALL taxable income to be reported.

...

But choosing NOT to take a deduction that you have coming to you is your choice.

...

I would only give the "heads-up" that if your federal rate is say 25% and your local rate is say 2% (local rates tend to run from 1 to 3%) the overall tax benefit is for the household is typically better by taking the deduction at the federal level.

...

(but I suppose this IS possible, especially if there's a CREDIT at the local and the deduction is phased out at the federal)

..

Regardless, yes, you can ALWAYS choose NOT to take a deduction.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS