Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have no taxable income. I am 60 years pf age and a

Customer Question
I have no taxable...

I have no taxable income. I am 60 years pf age and a caregiver to my special needs daughter. She has a trust fund which pays me to be able to stay home and not work. I also receive SSI for being mother of a disabled child. When this all started, I was told all of the income is tax free. I was confused doing my taxes for 2016 and the IRS now says I owe $750.00. I do get health insurance through the Marketplace. I did not owe anything for 2015. I just do not believe this is true. Help

Accountant's Assistant: The Experts require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I wonder if I should refile or need to pay

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 5 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If your only income is social security income, than you would not owe any taxes. Have you received any tax form for the distribution from the trust? Something must have been reported to the IRS beside the social security income.

I get weekly payments from thee trust of $450.00 for being caregiver. The Trust is not taxable

But did you get any tax form reporting the distribution from the trust? Like Schedule K1. Somebody reported some kind of income to the IRS beside the social security income.The income from the trust may not be taxable but if the trust issued a K1 you need to report the K1 income and than deduct it as nontaxable. Otherwise the IRS has no way of knowing why it is not taxable.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney