Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax CPA question: amended tax returns 1: I have received

Tax CPA question: amended tax...
Tax CPA question: amended tax returns1: I have received CP2000 for 2015 tax. I forgot to add one financial institution's DIV so I agreed CP2000 and just paid the amount on CP2000 to IRA.2. After that, my company found out that they have errors on 2015 W2. They typed wrong numbers at Box5 (Medicare Wages and tips) and the company charged us the medicare tax withheld from 2017's wage.3. Now, the company asked each employee to amend the tax returns for 2015. We do not own any amounts.My question is :When we file amend tax return for 2015, do we need to include both information on the file? Since we have paid the fee already, how can we file without paying or owning any fee? even thought the total refund is different from the original tax form?Also, do we have to amend state tax as well?Thanks,
9/2/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

After you agreed to CP2000 changes and paid the difference, the corrected by the IRS return is now your original return (not the one you originally filed).

But you will need to amend your state return because the CP2000 change increased your AGI.

Medicare wages will not change your refund (or balance due) unless you had underreported SS and Medicare tax on line 58 or line 71 (excess ss tax withheld). If the change does not change your refund you do not need to amend it. Medicare income (box 5) is not reported on tax return.

Thank you very much!Some people told me that I do not have to amend my sate return because the state will send me the bill to pay the difference anyways. Is it true? or should I amend my state now?This will be last one. My medicare wages and tips on Box5 on W2 increased and Box 6(Medicare tax withhold) increased and the company took the different from the 2017 wage. The company said that we will likely be required to amend your 2015 income tax return to reflect the 0.9% Additional Medicare tax which was paid from 2017 wage.Any suggestion?

The IRS will eventually notify the state but it can take several month and the late penalty will grow in meantime.

The additional .9% tax does not apply to everybody, only to people with 200K+ income. You will need to check if changing the Medicare income and tax would change your refund/balance due. If your income is less than 200K, it will probably not change anything.

Thanks, ***** ***** question, I will add some tips.Our income is 200K+ so tax would increase and the company already took the balance due from the wage in August 2017. My question is : in this circumstances, do we need to amend 2015 tax return? even thought we have paid already in 2017.

It depends how the company is handling it. Did the company issue you corrected W2? If yes than you will have to amend your 2015. If not, than you do not have to.

If the company issued you corrected W2 than the withholding made in 2017 was to correct 2015 filing. But if the company did not issue you corrected w2 than the withholding (and additional tax) will be reported on your 2017 return (in that case you would not need to amend your 2015.

the company issued corrected W2 2015 today and they took the balance due from the wage this month in 2017.In this case, we have to amend 2015 tax , correct????Also, do we have to induce the collection from CP2000 dividends (The balance was paid) too when we amend 2015?Sorry for the complex question, we will add some tips.

If the company issued you corrected w2 than you will need to amend your 2015. When you amend your return your original version is the one as corrected by the IRS. It will include the additional dividends plus the additional payment (before the late fees and penalties).

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser