Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I sent my out of state California excise franchise tax work

Customer Question
in but it never arrived JA...
I sent my out of state California excise franchise tax work in but it never arrived
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I resent today
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: Meanwhile the phone agent said a levy was issued by she would place a 30 day hold ...is that possible
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Your site is difficult to use
The lady at the corp tax franchise excise said she would place a 30 day hold ....then I sent it all in today and aldi got a tax levy effective August 25 2017
Will the ladies hold really hold or am I in dire straights ?
Is tjere anyone out there to help w an answer ?
In other words we spoke yesterday ...i sent the tax work today but it won't reach Sacramento till Tuesday after holiday
Still does this woman hav power over the letter I got ?
9/1/2017
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I apologize for the delay in responding. From your post, it seems that you are located outside of California but had to file a California tax return, and you mailed it to the Franchise Tax Board. They did not receive it and began collection proceedings that resulted in a tax levy being issued on August 25th. You called them and the representative told you that she would place a 30 day hold on collection activities while you sent them another copy of your return. If that is correct so far, then I can tell you that yes, this is completely normal with the FTB. It is standard practice for them to cease collection activities for 30 days or more if needed if they are working with you to resolve an issue. My advice to you is to make sure that you mailed your return to the correct address and that you required a signature on delivery. Now, a levy is a seizure of funds. Before they can levy on any of your accounts, they have to notify you by registered mail. I am guessing that that is what you received in a mail. So if that's what happened, then you are in suspended collection status. The FTB is not going to do anything for 30 days. But read that notice very carefully and be certain that a levy has not already occurred. If in fact there has been an actual levy of funds in one or more accounts, it has to be addressed promptly. The FTB can suspend collection activities but they cannot "undo" a levy that's already taken place until your issue has been resolved. I hope this answers your question. Again, it is normal operating procedure for the FTB to cease collection for 30 days while working with you to resolve an issue.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney